mirror

Prototypes – The Process of Assembling and Testing

After laying everything out on the table, we knew the broom handles would become the rig’s main arms but they required something to hold them together. We found bendable steel cable from Dollarama marketed as a bungy cable that worked well for this purpose. We looped the cable through the end of the handle and twisted for a strong connection. They also served well as the shoulder straps when attached to the broom’s length. We had to try a few times to get proper placement for the shoulder straps. Too short meant the camera would be too close to the wearer’s face and too far meant it would be imbalanced. Our next step was to work on the pivoting head that would hold the camera.

Building the head:
mirror We decided not to use the iPhone holder we purchased as it was too ready made. Instead, we used a piece of plastic packaging. Velcro strips attached to a mirror and the rectangular plastic piece would allow the wearer to move the iPhone to different angles. However, we discovered that the iPhone’s weight was too much for a single strip of velcro so we had to make a bigger surface area to prevent it from dipping forward at the top. We also used elastics to secure the iPhone after we discovered that the phone would fall out if it was tilted at an angle for too long.

rig1
The mirror’s plastic stand could pivot to allow us to angle the camera properly for different heights but it was too heavy for the steel cable. We had to improve the strength somehow so we tried using a metal wall bracket but the bracket was too narrow to hold the end of the mirror without it shifting to the side with any movement. Due to this, we used the adjustable neck of a lamp instead of the mirror base; it was an appropriate width so we could attach it solidly with duct tape.

rig2

The base:
We decided we needed a third support to make it more like a tripod against our body. We removed the chamois end of a small dusting broom; it had a triangular plastic piece that could sit against the wooden cutting board we decided was necessary for rigidity. We cut a piece of a doormat in half and tried attaching both lengths together with velcro in order to wrap entirely around the body. This was a little tricky because the velcro was so incredibly sticky that once it was placed, it couldn’t be moved around. We wasted a full length of the velcro trying to vertically attach it in just the right location. However, after several attempts, we figured out where to place the velcro so it would fit the wearer’s waist and hips. In a future prototype, we would definitely use adjustable belt clips so it would fit more than one wearer. Our next step was fusing the cutting board to the carpet with duct tape to ensure a solid base structure.
Once the carpet base and the rig were attached to each other, this helped create a strong and wearable body rig. waistsupport